Want to become an entrepreneur?  This is an excellent opportunity for people who want to mould their career and are prepared to go the extra mile, but who also enjoy overcoming challenges and want to establish an independent livelihood.

Trade permit

In Austria you need a trade permit issued by the trade authority (district commission, municipal authority) for any commercial activity. Please contact the municipal authority or district commission responsible for this.

As the type of trade permit depends on the activity exercised, please contact an advice centre for further information. A certificate of proficiency is also required for some professions.

Conditions for self-employment

In addition to the certificates of proficiency required for certain trades, the following conditions must also be met: 

  • Individual must be 18 years of age 
  • Citizenship of an EU Member State or of a signatory to the EEA or of another state with which a treaty has been signed in this regard, or possession of a residence permit which entitles the holder to exercise the desired self-employed activity 
  • Residence in Austria (not required in certain special cases) 
  • Integrity

Further information and advice on starting a business in Austria can be found directly at: 

Further information on living and working in Austria can be found directly at:

Advice on self-employment

We recommend that anyone wanting to become self-employed obtain advice and support from the Chamber of Commerce. 

With their start-up service, the Chambers of Commerce provide expert advice throughout Austria regarding all queries – e.g. from the initial idea through to final financing plans or questions on insurance. Free offers here include:

  • Workshops
  • Individual consultations
  • Themed events and expert discussions